Benefits of Surfing
Not everyone has the advantage of living near a beach and being able to go surfing daily, but for those who do, it is a great opportunity to help you live healthily. It’s also a recreational activity and offers a number of health and fitness benefits.
1. Cardiovascular and heart health: Surfing is a great cardiovascular exercise, that uses leg muscles to guide the board once you’re up and riding, and mostly upper body muscles to do the paddling work. Involving more time paddling, surfing provides an intense upper body and core workout.
2. Mental health: Like other physical exercise, surfing helps to offset the negative effects of stress.
3. Vitamin D: The vitamin D from the sun that you can get while doing outside activities like surfing is essential for strong bones and the growth of skin cellsby regulating the amount of calcium and phosphorus in the blood.
4. Better sleep: Many studies show that regular exercise, including surfing, increases the positive benefits of sleeping. Sleep is important as it allows time for your muscles to repair themselves and helps you feel refreshed in the morning.
5. Workout: Surfing develops your body and strengthens the core and legs through the constantly changing movement.
6. Muscle strengthening: Paddling helps strengthen your back and shoulder muscles, and you can get toned legs by surfing due to the balance required while you’re up on the board.
7. Improved balance: One of the best exercise benefits of surfing is the improvement that it creates in your balance. To stay firm on the surfboard, you must have the ability to maintain your balance and this skill carries over into everyday life.
8. Self gratification: Surfing is not the easiest sport to learn because it takes time, commitment, and perseverance to progress. But once you can overcome this barrier, the rewards are huge. Besides the physical and mental benefits that surfing has to offer, it also helps you have prove to yourself that you can achieve goals that even seem unattainable.